Tuesday, June 22, 2010

It's just a doll--or is it? by guest blogger Milady Blue

Ooops, I've done it again. I've generated not just a comment, but an entire blog post in response to my Rapunzel saga. And no, Milady Blue, you did not hurt my feelings--I'm just another type of doll collector, but I do sincerely appreciate your response.

I'm pleased to present Blue's rebuttal to my Rapunzel article.


It's Just a Doll -- or Is It?
by Milady Blue
Special Guest Writer


My comments about feeling guilty for hurting a toy's feelings after seeing Toy Story 3 was not meant to make you or anyone else feel bad! It was just something weird that struck me, is all. It was meant as a statement of the power of the characters Pixar created--that you could really feel for them, and root for them as if they were living, breathing people.

Think of incoming dolls as potential employees - some will fit into your organization, and some will not. Those who do not should be given recommendations to another potential employer.

Sending a doll to an OOAK artist to correct any flaws in the makeup or whatever, could actually be seen as "retraining." You are doing your best to give your new employee a chance to make it in your organization.

I think doll companies could, at times, be accused of falsifying doll resumes. Promotional pictures of new dolls are deliberately staged to make them look their best, but even the most vigilant doll companies cannot avoid the occasional sloppy workmanship in factories on the production dolls. If doll companies are wise, as Tonner and Integrity are, they will have great customer service willing to help repair or even replace faulty dolls. I can testify to Tonner's excellent service!

I am ambivalent now about my Green Lantern. Yes, he is a handsome hunk o' manplastic, and a dad to two little girls in my collection, but the clenched fists and lack of posing ability really limit photo ops. I'd like to have pictures of him hugging his daughters, or carrying them around, doing typical dad stuff, but his resume was padded. He can't even hug his girlfriend, who is larger than the dolls I have for his daughters! If I had known the superhero body was this stiff, or given thoughts about the clenched fists, I would have saved my money, no matter how hunky I found his face sculpt to be.

I am torn--should I sell him and try to recoup my investment? I don't have his original box or stand, so the value goes down, alas. But I do like him, he is a handsome, hunky fellow, and again, the weirdness of understanding the "feelings" of my dolls has me in a trap--won't his daughters be sad to lose their daddy? Won't his girlfriend miss him? Won't he miss his new little family and the friends he has made among my collection? Short answer, no, because he is a doll. Maybe someone out there will appreciate him more than I do for what he is, posing limitations and all, and he will be treated better than he is now, standing on my desk, acting as a dust bunny wrangler.

3 comments:

  1. Just my two cents... thanks for another great post, first. :)

    Second--what about hanging onto Hal for a while longer yet, and waiting for another more articulated Tonner man-body to come out--maybe another basic--to go on sale? Are the plain male bodies available as replacements? Maybe you could invest in one--sure--they may be $40 from Tonner, but if that could make your OK-man into the man of your dreams... wouldn't that be perfect?

    Third--and weird coming from me. Never, ever sell a doll you might regret selling. Somehow, doll collecting, for me, goes deeper than just a collection. They aren't "just dolls," are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wait. Maybe that's really three cents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should hang on to him for a bit longer. I've done the quick sell before and then regretted it months later and found myself searching for that doll again. If I don't do much with the doll after a few months, then I don't feel bad letting that one go.

    And I like the term "re-homing" rather than selling of getting rid of. Sounds much more friendly and those dolls at go to a new home and get more love there!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your thoughtful, on-topic, and relevant comments. We'd love to start a discussion here.

Please note that links, off-topic, and irrelevant comments won't be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...