Friday, February 18, 2011

How not to negotiate your doll budget

Here are some tips on how not to negotiate your doll budget with your significant other. Weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth may have their place when it comes to relationships, but not in negotiating your doll budget.

If you’re single, budgeting money for your doll budget may not be an issue for you. But I’m not only married, I share a house with four children. Additionally, I’ve been a stay-at-home mom for the past ten years. Unfortunately, our society doesn’t see fit to provide us with much compensation or recognition, except for “Mother’s Day,” which primarily involves lukewarm coffee and toast crumbs in your bed. So instead, I'm left to negotiate my doll budget with my spouse directly.

First, crying isn’t effective. I’ve tried. And while it’s useful in averting a severe crisis now and then, it’s postponing the inevitable blow-up. Better to just get the blow-up over as soon as possible.

Second, an “allowance” doesn’t seem to work. Allowances are for children. Plus, what happens when your grail goes on sale? Or when it rains, for that matter? (See my previous post, Top Ten Reasons to Buy a Doll.)

Third, having someone else limit you also doesn’t work. The key is limiting yourself, rather than having someone else nag you all the time. It’s just not cool to nag--it’s annoying.

Why yes, I do know how much I spent on dolls last month. Don’t make me start hiding it the grocery bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your thoughtful, on-topic, and relevant comments. We'd love to start a discussion here.

Please note that links, off-topic, and irrelevant comments won't be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...