Monday, October 6, 2014

Did you miss the Karl Lagerfeld Barbie?

I did--and man, am I bummed. You can see her original listing from Mattel at the Barbiecollector.com website. Her original retail was $200, and she was made in a tiny (for Mattel) edition size of 999 (Platinum Label).

She has a new face sculpt with a rooted platinum ponytail, and is wearing a darn cool Lagerfeld style black jacket, white men's shirt with French cuffs, black cravat, and black fitted jeans. She also includes fingerless gloves, a bag, glasses and ankle boots.

If you're sad you missed her--since she sold out in under an hour--you can still pick her up from collectors who apparently changed their minds and would rather be swimming in cash. On eBay, she is going for about $1000 (only five times her original price), and Marl & B has one available for even more, $1999, ten times her original cost. 

I try not to say this on my blog, but in this case, I just can't help it: holy shit.

The photos are property of Mattel.

3 comments:

  1. Just crazy! I don't think there was anything accidental about the collectors selling her for the inflated price. They didn't change their minds, that was their intention all along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure you're right. I was being a little facetious in my post--hence my disrespectful tagging, as well. :) But again, I probably just am a little sour because I didn't get the chance to do the same thing! Lol!

      Delete
  2. Let's call these buyers what they are: Scalpers.

    I'm not sure what the point is of being a Barbie club member if we don't even have a real shot at buying these dolls. At least Integrity has a lottery system. I guess I'm "sour," too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your thoughtful, on-topic, and relevant comments. We'd love to start a discussion here.

Please note that links, off-topic, and irrelevant comments won't be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...